December 27, 2010

all done!

Quilt finished!  OK, I didn't machine quilt it, I tried and failed and I wasn't happy with how it was going. With time of the essence, I decided to hand quilt this gift to our nephew on his first Christmas.  And I know it wasn't ready in time for Christmas (and it would have been had I persevered with the machine quilting) but it's not too late, and the fact that I hand stitched it makes it feel like even more of a personal achievement and I think it will be worth the wait given the love that's gone into the thousands of little stitches.

After deliberating over the colour for the binding, I chose an orangey red fabric from the City Weekend range for Oliver + S.  Initially I was going to go for a safe, lime green colour but found this sweet dotty print and I'm glad I went with it.  I love how it looks against the turquoise blues and it looks a little different.  Binding the quilt was something I found tricky last time I made a quilt (the only time I've ever done it), but I used this great little tutorial to remind me how to do it and actually, binding the quilt was one of the most enjoyable bits of the process for me.

Now onto the next project, a quilt for my little boy Max for his first birthday, which is now just over three months away (really?!).  That one I'm planning to hand quilt, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on the machine quilting, which I'm determined to master next year.  The list of what I'm going to do in 2011 gets longer and longer.  It's going to be a big year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...